Pages

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Annoying Customer Rant

Yes, we all have them, those customers that expect everything for nothing. Here is my latest customer rant ..

Yesterday I went to visit a new customer, she had invited her sister-in-law and daughter around so they could order as well.

Her and her daughter were lovely and put in orders of around $40 each. However her sister-in-law was rather demanding and was upset that I didn't have all the products she was interested in there to show her. (I did have quite a few to display, but of course didn't have everything!).

She reluctantly ordered five lipsticks at $3.50 each (total order $17.50). I thanked her for her order and was about to leave when she asked me what she would get free with her order. She demanded that I should give her one of her lipsticks for free since she had already ordered five of them. Her argument was that if she went to the Clinique counter at the mall and ordered five lipsticks she would get something free.

Now of course I had to bite my tongue and try not to say that I didn't think that she could buy 5 lipsticks for $17.50 at the Clinique counter, but I remained cool and said that I would see what I could do, but I couldn't promise anything.

Well, this didn't satisfy her and instead she proceeded to tell me that I wasn't a very good business person if I didn't give her something for free. I tried to explain that Avon charges me the price in the brochure (less my commission) and that I don't have full access to all their stock so that I can just take something to give to her.

So of course she cancelled her order.

Now those of you who have been reading my tips and posts will know that I am actually quite generous with gifts for my customers, however I will not stand for someone who DEMANDS I give them something.

So my point in all of this (apart from just getting it off my chest) is that we all have to deal with difficult customers from time to time. Be polite, but be firm. And remember that usually it isn't YOU that they are upset with, but they just could be having a bad day, or have a bad experience and are taking it out on you.

Don't take it personally, even big corporations have people who complain, it's a part of business. Just chalk it up to experience and move on.

Happy Holidays!

No comments: