Pages

Monday, October 15, 2007

Mum or Mom? That is the question!

I don't have any tips right now, just rambling to myself ...

I was thinking today about how Avon is such a great home business for stay at home mums when I remembered that American's spell it moms. It got me thinking why we in Australia spell it such a way?

It seems to make more sense that it should be mom because the mo starts mother, don't you think? Maybe it has something to do with the way we say it. We say mum (rhymes with hum). It fits our accent.

I'm fairly sure that the UK also says mum, and it could derive from that seeing as most of the immigrants to Australia were from Europe.

If anyone knows why Australian's say mum instead of mom I'd love to hear it!

1 comment:

hob said...

hi i was just reading ur very helpfull blog and i know you are probaly over it but im english and we say mam unless your quite posh then its mum